Monday, July 15, 2013

The Last Unicorn Review

Good afternoon everyone!

It's been awhile since I did a book review, so I thought I could write about a recent book on my "finished" list - The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle.



The book is about the last unicorn (if you couldn't tell by the title), a female unicorn who has spent her time in a small forest that never sees winter because of her presence. She overhears some hunters passing through her wood say that there are no more unicorns, which causes her to think and ponder on her existence. So after some thought, our unicorn decides to find her "people", and thus begins her journey.

Without giving too much away, my biggest impression of this book was, "yeah, this was totally written in the 60's", although that's not a terrible thing. It's primarily a fantasy novel set in a medieval period (they still use carts, live in castles, there are princes and princesses, et cetera) but there are times where the time barrier seems to break (for instance when we are given the scene of a prince reading a magazine, among others).

To me the book felt as if it were trying to be overly mysterious, and at times I felt the author wasn't in complete control of the plot and had things happen, then had the characters be mysterious about it because he himself couldn't explain what the heck was going on.

The characters also felt shallow, without depth, and at times I wasn't even sure why they moped about so much and acted as if their lives were completely terrible. I found myself trying very desperately to find a character I could like/connect to, and it just never happened.

However... I can see why this is considered such an important fantasy novel. Although I wasn't a huge fan and there were parts that annoyed me, overall it was an enjoyable read and I found myself liking the world that the characters lived in (even though it seemed rather glum to me).

If you're interested in reading, I found a link to it online here, so you're welcome to read it for yourself and agree or disagree with me. I'm also hoping to see the movie eventually, since it somehow escaped me in my childhood.



Well, that's all I have today guys! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment